Thursday, October 25, 2007

Looking ahead to behind

So today, I went to a book review. The book was "Dragon Slippers," a young adult (read: tween through teen) fantasy book. It sounded very interesting. The author, Jessica Day George, came to our review and we were asking her questions about her creative style, etc. She has pages of ideas for books and is always working on something, even though she has a three-year-old. She also is an avid knitter- scarves, hats, socks, etc. She said she is always knitting something. I commented to Karry that I never do anything. She pointed out that I hike-thats something. Well, it may be something, but it really isn't the same because it doesn't produce anything you can leave behind for your posterity. Then Karry pointed out that that may be true, but at least hiking doesn't leave you with a big behind either! We laughed about that one.

But seriously, I haven't produced much besides seven babies and can't take any credit for their successes or accomplishments. I've tried to think if I've produced anything that my kids would think was worth taking home once I'm gone and they have to clean out my house. No quilts or crafts. No woodworking projects. No paintings or pottery. No witty, insightful journal (so far, everything I've written has been pretty boring or dry.) Anything worth squabbling over was inherited from someone else.

So I guess the challenge for me is figuring out how to make some changes that will make better use of whats left of my future so that I can leave something tangible behind. (Of course, then I need to figure out what on earth I could do that would be worth hanging on to.)

2 comments:

LL said...

First of all, producing 7 babies is a pretty big deal. Don't sell yourself short on that one. You also made a family Christmas ornament every year for many, many years. That is something. And you are an excellent, EXCELLENT cook and that is a pretty great legacy. You have a delicious cook book that you put together, that will be something you leave behind.

It doesn't have to be something crafty, but if you're looking for a crafty legacy, didn't you used to do photography and enjoy that? You could take that up again and do nature photos on your hikes. :-)

You love your kids - that is really all you need to leave.

More Bacon said...

Well said, LL. I was trying to think of something today that you could leave us that would be better than what you have already done for us, but I can't think of a thing.

Unless you have some secret stash of money somewhere... :)

But really, the best things in life aren't things. (I learned that from your gym shirt--see? Leaving me a legacy already.)