Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mr. Monk goes to the beach

We went to the Temple this morning and then after lunch we went to Kaloko-Honokohau, a National Historic Park just outside of Kona, and went for a hike.

The trails go through lava fields, trees, past fish traps and fish ponds and also along a beach and tidal pool area. The lava fields are pretty monotonous but the trees and beach were interesting. On part of this hike we shared our trail with a monk seal. A nice highlight to the hike because I’d never seen one up close before.


Is this my best side?


Or is this?


Looking back along the beach


Sea cucumbers in a small tidal pool. I've never seen so many in one place before.


Driftwood above the beach


One stretch of the trail

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

Such great pictures! And monk seal? So cool! I'm really jealous.

There were TONS of sea cucumbers EVERYWHERE when I was at the Great Barrier Reef...they are pretty gross, I think...