Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Greater love hath no man

So let me tell you about my Super Man. Those of you who know O well know that (due to some unfortunate childhood experiences) he does not like the water. He doesn’t swim, prefers to stay out of the pool, won’t water-ski, etc. But he does like the ocean. Likes to look at it, listen to it, watch whales in it, and ride in boats on it. Just don’t get him wet and he’s fine. I’m not a water-baby either, but I like to snorkel. I’m not a great swimmer so I only snorkel in pretty tame areas.

Several Hawaii trips ago, O decided he would try to share the experience with me instead of just hanging out on the boat while I was in the water alone. He would go out in an inner tube with a viewing box for a little bit while I did my thing, checking in with him every few minutes. Then he graduated to his own mask. He likes seeing the fish, but the tube makes it hard to really get your head in to look around. He decided that the next time he went he would use a flotation belt, like water skiers use. It was scary for him, but we worked out our own buddy system and he did it.

We go out together and hold hands and cruise around the bay, pointing things out to each other. It is always hard for him when he first gets into the water and it takes a minute or two to find his inner calm and get his face into the water. Once he does, we’re set.

Today we went on our traditional snorkel excursion. (check back later for video) I could tell he was more worried than usual, but he came down into the water to be with me. As we moved away from the boat, he had a panic attack and said he just couldn’t do it this time. I told him I thought he would be all right and we hung in there together for a few more minutes and he held both of my hands while I towed him around. Soon, he was ready to go. We linked arms for a while instead of our tradition hand-holding but by the time we headed back to the boat, we were linking index fingers instead.

How many men would put themselves through that for their woman? My man did!

4 comments:

LL said...

GO DAD GO!

I also hate to get wet and I especially hate to get my face wet. I'll wash it in the shower, but that is about it. I hate pools, I hate being in the ocean, but I do like to see the fish.

Oddly, I was less bothered when I was scuba diving. Weird.

Shannon said...

That is so great. What a wonderful husband!

More Bacon said...

That is so fantastic. I'm so glad that things went well for both of you--it's so nice that you have each other for times like that--and dad's such a stud!!

Cheryl said...

Good for you O!!! It takes a lot of courage to do scarey things. I'm not so good at it, but you inspire me!