Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm not cured yet!


There is a strange malady that commonly strikes Grand Canyon hikers. I was afflicted ten years ago when I did my first rim-to-rim hike. What is this malady? It's the urge to return again. The drive to do it one more time. To either do it better, faster, more enjoyably or simply to add another crossing to your count. It can't be explained. (After all, it's hot, long, hot, exhausting, hot, hard on the toes and hot.) We have asked other RTR hikers why they come back again. They get this familiar look in their eyes, shrug, and then admit that they can't explain it- they just have to do it.

This year, as we trained and prepared for our annual rim-to-rim, I thought I was cured. (see parentheses above) Evidently not. I was really just cured of the urge to hike the Canyon smack-dab in the middle of the hottest part of the summer.

As you can see, I am back from the Grand Canyon. Best Canyon hike ever for reasons that I will mention later. We plan to go to the Canyon less frequently so that we can have more time to see and do things on a list of places that keeps getting longer and longer. Secretly, I had thought that maybe this was going to be my last time through. Orland isn’t ready to give up the Canyon, though and now that I have done it again, I have to admit that I plan to go back.

3 comments:

LL said...

Sounds like you had a good time! We can't wait to hear all about it!!

More Bacon said...

It was the best hike ever, even with a few hiccups. It was fantastic. We should go again. Right now. I don't want to do homework or go to work. Let's run away and join the circus!!

somebody's mother said...

Even people in the circus need a college degree. Once you have one the circus world will be at yours for the taking and I will totally support you if you still want to join the circus. I may believe in you more than you believe in you, but I know you can do it. Hang in there and go for it.