Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Got carrots?

Last year, at about this same time, I needed garden space to plant our peas and lettuce. So I dug up what was left of the carrots that we'd left in the garden to enjoy over the winter so that I could use the space to plant my peas and lettuce. I scrubbed them and weighed them- 17 lbs. And after scrubbing a little over 17 lbs of carrots, I resolved to plan and plant more carefully and not have so many carrots to stand and scrub. And then I put all those carrots in the fridge and ate our way through them.

Then I carefully counted and spaced and planted carrot seeds for the new season. And in the fall, I covered what was left of the carrots so that we could use them during the winter. And we enjoyed carrots all winter long. 


Last week, I needed the space where the last of the carrots were so that I could plant our peas and lettuce. So I dug up what was left of the carrots that we'd left in the garden over the winter. I scrubbed them and weighed them- 31.6 lbs. 


Go figure.

That's a lot of carrots to eat our way through. No matter what's for dinner, we'll be having carrots with it.

And I've resolved to plan and plant more carefully this year so that I won't have so many carrots to stand and scrub when I need the space to plant my peas and lettuce.


Third time's the charm?

7 comments:

jenn said...

So I don't need to bother picking up carrots at the store, I can just come over and buy some from you??

LL said...

Ha! Love it. How much did you plant?

Also, I read the square foot gardening book. First off I'd like to punch him in the face because he feels a little too good about himself. But then I'm curious what you think about his ideas. How much space did you use for growing carrots and how deep does the dirt need to be?

somebody's mother said...

I believe we have enough to share, unless you are particular about the size, shape or variety.

somebody's mother said...

I'm not sure how many seeds I planted. We started with a 4.5'x 3.5' patch and by the time I covered it in early November for the winter we were down to about 3.5 x 3.5 or a little less. We used maybe a couple of pounds per month during the winter.

As for square foot gardening, you can apply the spacing principles to any garden space and I do my own version of that. I'm not a fan of mixing up an artificial soil for grow boxes, though, unless you don't have any other option.

More Bacon said...

Of course, I live far away where I can't eat all of your many, many carrots.

somebody's mother said...

Flat Rate box, baby!

Shari said...

I feel like a peeping tom if I don't leave a comment. I'm not a gardener, but most things are harder than they look. That I do know. I loved your Hawaii pictures. Thanks for sharing you vacation.