Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Road trip-day two


Two National Monuments and a National Park in one day. Plus lots of miles through the Black Hills and out across the Plains.

We went to Devil’s Tower and walked around the base of the tower. It is a short, pretty little trail. If we are ever there again, we may have to try one of the other trails. We didn’t see any climbers while we were there, but it is a popular climbing destination.




Then we headed out for South Dakota and the Black Hills. There we went to see Mount Rushmore.




After Rushmore we hit the road and headed east again and out onto the plains. As we neared Murdo, where we had decided to stay for the night, we noticed some strange geologic formations a few miles from the freeway. Then we saw a sign for the exit to Badlands National Park. Off we went to see the Badlands. If you are old enough to have seen the old western movies on Saturdays, then you know the Badlands is where those low-down varmints go to hide out after they rob the bank, or whatever else it is that low-down varmints do. And now we know why it was such a great place for outlaws to disappear.



One thing about the Plains that we don’t get to see in the Rocky Mountains: the horizon- way off in the distance. We really don’t get to see very far off tucked into the mountains the way we are. I forgot just how far you can see when there aren’t mountains in the way. It seems like you can see forever once you get out of town and into the open. If you look at the second Badlands picture, you can see a little of the horizon there. At sunset, with a few clouds, it is really something.

And one more thing about the Great Plains. You can’t really see them when you are out just walking around, or even in town, but there are lots of insects along the highways and byways. LOTS of them.




That isn’t a meteor shower over the parking lot. That is what our windshield looked like from where we were sitting. And we had already cleaned the windshield once today! Imagine our delight when we way this little amenity as we pulled in to the parking lot of our motel in Murdo.

3 comments:

More Bacon said...

I'm not really familiar with the great plains, but it looks awesome! Glad you're having fun!

Shannon said...

I think that the horizon is one of the things I miss the most about Texas. I love the way I feel as I look and feel like I can see forever. There are other things I miss too. Also things I don't miss.
Sounds like a fun road trip.
I hear you are going to visit LL. Give her a hug from me when you get there.

LL said...

Hug received Shannon! I'll send one back your way. :-)

I miss the mountains. Out here you just see a whole lot of nothing.