Monday, February 2, 2009

You missed one (or more)

When we went to Hawaii we had to change planes in Honolulu to get to the Big Island. Go! Airline charges for every checked bag so we decided to save $27 and check only one bag and carry-on the other two. We quickly felt around in our baggage to make sure there weren’t any unauthorized liquids lurking. Then we checked our biggest bag and sent the rest through the security screening. Sure enough, the screener felt something was amiss. He was sure there was a container of liquids- in my computer bag (which had already been through a screening in Salt Lake). The screener had the bag searched by another TSA agent. Was it my cheese stick? No, said the screener. Was it my solid-stick lotion? Again, no. Back through the machine went my computer bag. He insisted there were liquids. The other agent insisted the bag was clean. Finally my bag and I were reunited and we were on the way.

The whole point of this story? Once we got to our room that night, what did I find in the other, previously checked suitcase that became a carry-on? A carry-on that had sailed through the screening just ahead of my computer bag? What was right on top in an outside pocket of that bag? My quart-sized plastic bag crammed full of containers of liquids. A plastic bag that I should have been pulled from the suitcase for screening. A plastic bag that should have been caught by the screener and his machine.

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

Sort of destroys my confidence in those people...

Of course, my security experience at John Wayne proved that you don't really have to be very prepared or compliant to get on the plane as long as you're cute and friendly (like me!)